Wikipedia maintains a lists of school-related attacks worldwide. The link included here is for secondary schools.
As we scanned thru this list, here are some of the things that stood out to us…
- The number of incidents has risen dramatically in the last 10-20 years.
- * Some of this is due to better reporting, but, yes, there have been a lot more incidents lately.
- The United States (4% of the world’s population) appears on this list way more often than it should.
- In addition to guns, knives appear regularly on this list.
- Bullying and homophobia are listed as contributing factors in many incidents.
What other things do you notice? Would your current school policies handle incidents like the ones described?